LAPS has introduced an e-newsletter!
Please email us to be added to our e-newsletter mailing list.
Visit our Specialists’ Corner and Physician Locator
Los Angeles Pediatric Society
Eve and Gene Black Summer Medical Career Program
The Los Angeles Pediatric Society established the Eve and Gene Black Summer Medical Career Program in 1969. The purpose of the program is to encourage high school students to choose careers in the health professions. This program is best described as a medical mentor program. Under the supervision of a health care educator/medical facility coordinator, participants shadow various medical professionals (nurse, nutritionist, pharmacist, lab technician, physician and/or medical specialist etc.) who together provide a range of patient care services. You may see a current list of the particpating medical facilities here:Facility Address and Requirement List
A stipend is available upon request for any student with financial need. Each participant will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program and one $500 scholarship will be awarded.
Frequently Asked Questions include specific information about the program.
Funding is provided by contributions from individuals and groups. If you would to donate to this life changing program, please see the Donations Tab. Contributors to this fund will be acknowledged online on the LAPS website.
- Applications for the 2016 program are now available (2 pages). This form may be completed online, but it must be printed out and submitted with all other required documents for the application package.
- Instructions for application submission
- Mailing Check List
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Flyer for High School Counselor Use
- Facility Address and Requirement List
- Participant Policy and Behavior Contract
- Transportation Survey for Valley Combined Program
- LAC+USC Junior Volunteer Application for LAC+USC only
- Current participants in the Summer Program may communicate via our dedicated Facebook Page .
- Past Program Highlights